D. Y. Patil University was established in the year 2005, in the name of the great educationist and philanthropist DR. D. Y. PATIL Padma Shree awardee. D.Y. Patil Education Society is the sponsoring society of the University. D. Y. Patil Education Society (Institution Deemed to be University) Kolhapur is registered under Societies Registration Act, 1860 bearing no. Maharashtra/32907/Kolhapur on 21st November 2013. The sponsoring society started its Medical College in 1989. This college was initially affiliated to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur and later on affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik. The Medical College has excellent and constant academic performance, a very strong and aesthetic infrastructural system, efficient and transparent governance and distinct potential for future progress. The Department of Secondary and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development, on the recommendation of University Grants Commission under Section 3 of UGC Act of 1956, vide its Notification No. F.9-26/2004-U-3 dated 1st September 2005, has accorded the Deemed to be University status to D. Y. Patil Education Society consisting of D.Y. Patil Medical College, Kolhapur.
The D. Y. Patil University, Kolhapur has among many achievements, has been declared as “Re-accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ Grade”
The Vision and Mission of the University are:
- â€œ To become a world class institution of higher learning in health sciences education, training and researchâ€
- To provide quality education and skill development in health sciences and other related areas for development of professional human resources.
- To engage in interdisciplinary research and innovations for furtherance of knowledge, technology and community development.
- To put in place dynamic techno-structure for effective use of technology in curriculum development, pedagogy, student evaluation and system management.
- To develop symbiotic relations with industry, academic and research institutions and community to meet the expectations of various stakeholders in education.
- To create learner centric ecosystem for the all-round development of the learners.
Dr. D. Y. Patil Educational Group is well organized, well focused organization in education and health care systems since last three decades and even today stands the hallmark in the field of education. The Europe Business Assembly-The Club of Rectors of Europe have jointly rated the D. Y. Patil University, Kolhapur as the â€œBest Universityâ€ (Patent No. 2401351) at International Level.
The programmes under constituent units of this University are as follows:
- D.Y.Patil Medical College and Hospital (MBBS & MD/MS/PG Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D.)
- Nursing (B.Sc., P.B.B.Sc. & M.Sc.)
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research (M.Sc. & Ph.D.)
In order to undertake the frontier level research in the field of medical science, the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research is established in the University. There are collaborative faculty members and research scholars working under difference projects sanctioned by DST, DRDO, CSIR, New Delhi and BRNS, Mumbai. The Centre offers interdisciplinary science research programmes leading to medical research and the Ph.D. awards. To fill up the gap between undergraduate and Ph.D. programme, the University is conducting two Post Graduate programmes; namely M.Sc. Medical Physics and M.Sc. Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine. In order to supplement these research activities, the Centre organizesÂ national and international conferences and workshops since its establishment.
The University has following governing authorities & bodies:
- Board of Management
- Academic Council
- Planning and Monitoring Board
- Finance Committee
- Board of Studies
- Board of Examination
- Publication Board
- Board of Post-Graduate Teaching and Research
- Research & Recognition Committee
- Editorial Board
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)
The University conducts the meetings of these authorities and bodies, from time to time as specified under the rules and the resolutions passed by them are implemented. The University has been co-operated by all stakeholders.